Sunday, May 3, 2009

Edward Noumair

"When you love something that much, it doesn't matter how hard it is, you just do it." Edward Noumair, Professional Photographer from Asbury Park. He started his own photography studio in 1939 and has been in the business for 60 years. He became insterested in photography during high school when he joined a photography club and the teacher in charge of the department encouraged and supported his interest in photography. He continued with this photography class for a couple of years and during that time he photographed many school projects as well as individuals students in the school.
During the summers he worked for Mitchell Liebsman, a man who ran a concession on the boardwalk, called The Action Photo Company. He used a DeVry Motion Picture camera, which converted to a single action photographic process. By the time he graduated from high school, he felt encouraged enough to start his own business. He found a little store on Summerfield Avenue and rented it for $25.00 a month.
In 1942, when the war broke out, he closed up my shop, covered and stored all my equipment and joined the US Marines for the next four years. There, he photographered all kinds of things. He was frequently sent up to perform mapping duties.
After the war, Edward returned to Summerfield Ave to continue his business. He soon had a very good customer base and was known for his work. In those days, he was pretty much the only photographer serving Deal, Interlaken, Neptune, Bradley and all the towns along the coast down to and including Belmar. Because his business was flurishing, he purchased a studio on Bangs Ave in Asbury. That is where he worked until he retired.
Edward shot portraits, weddings, group portraits and modeling. He served as the Professional Photographer's Association of New Jersey president in 1980. He has earned many awards for his photographs from this association.
He retired in 1999. In the past year, he has invested in his own digital nikon SLR and computer. He is also going to set up a darkroom in his garage to make prints from his old negatives of historic Asbury Park. Edward just turned 88 years old.

He is my grandfather, and the reason I became interested in photograhy.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I found your blog by searching for Edward Noumair. Mr. Noumair took my wedding photographs back in 1986. I would like to purchase the negatives from him (as I remember he used a Pentax 645), and then convert them to digital format to both preserve them and so that I can pass them down to my kids. I know he retired, but do you know who manages his photo archive?

    I'm also into photography and I liked your blogs. For panoramic photo stitching, I like a tool called PTGui, I think it does an exceptional job at stitching and then massaging the view/projection.

    I would appreciate it if you could help me get in touch with Mr. Noumair or track down my wedding photos.

    Walter Pitio
    wpitio@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I was given Edward Noumair name because he had his store in a building on Bangs Ave in Asbury Park. I am trying to find out a date an addition was put onto the building. I have found out it was in the 40's sometime, but would like to know if he remembers the year this addition was put on records indicate it might have been when he was a tenent there. Thank you so very much for any help you can give me.
    sincerely,
    Rosanna Lynch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosanna,
      My name is Melissa Katz and I just saw that you commented on a post form my college blog! He had his business there from 1939-1999!
      Actually, at the moment, I am working on a photography exhibit for his work that will be held in Asbury Park at Gallery13 on Cookman Ave. It is the whole month of November on the weekends, and the openings are Nov 2 @6 and Nov 3 @12. I'm sure Ed would love to talk with you and show you his work. The photos are of the Jersey shore form the air in the 50s and 60s. Hope to meet you there!

      Delete
  3. I am trying to get another copy of a picture taken of me and my daughters in 1976 at the studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra,
      My name is Melissa Katz and I just saw that you commented on a post form my college blog! He is my grandfather and I am managing his photo archive. I would be able to locate the negatives you are looking for and scan them in digitally as well if you like.
      Actually, at the moment, I am working on a photography exhibit for his work that will be held in Asbury Park at Gallery13 on Cookman Ave. It is the whole month of November on the weekends, and the openings are Nov 2 @6 and Nov 3 @12. I'm sure Ed would love to talk with you and show you his work. The photos are of the Jersey shore form the air in the 50s and 60s. Hope to meet you there!
      Melissa

      Delete