Thursday, April 23, 2009

Portfolio

I just printed out 14 images of field hockey sports photography! I have 2 more left, but they don't fit on the same page so I am waiting until I have something else to fit on the page so I don't waste any paper. Most of them are 7.5x11@300 dpi. Others are 10x10, and 4x7. I realized something pretty interesting. I started shooting for my portfolio the last weekend in March. When I came home to edit from that shoot, I saw a lot of pictures that I wanted to use; maybe 10. Then I shot the next 3 weekends, and the images from the first shoot didn't seem so great anymore. I think it's a good thing. Each weekend that I went to shoot, I think I got better because of my final portfolio pictures that I decided to choose, only 1 is from my first shoot. The number of pictures I choose to use gets larger as each shoot progressed. Therefore, I think I definitely improved each time I went out to shoot. (Also, I got a new 100-300mm lens for my birthday which helped). I took one shot of my field hockey net on So Sweet a Cat field a year ago that I want to find and use for my portfolio. Overall, I am really happy with the theme I choose because it is something I am really interested in, and I think I improved significantly. I am also happy that I stuck with just the sports of field hockey because it is much easier for each picture to relate to the other. If I shot other sport, it would be harder to make a cohesive body of work. Over the summer, I want to try shooting other sports (Surfing, swimming, biking) I also want to experiment with panning on a tripod. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment