Saturday, December 5, 2009

Environmental Photography for my Documentary

By 2050 a third of the people on Earth may lack a clean, secure source of water. Join National Geographic in exploring the local stories and global trends that define the world's water crisis. Learn about freshwater resources and how they are used to feed, power, and sustain all life. See how the forces of technology, climate, human nature, and policy create challenges and drive solutions for a sustainable planet.

This is one reason why I wanted to do my documentary on the waters and environment of the jersey shore. http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/photos/freshwater-threatened/fenriverpollution.html . This site helped to give me ideas about topics and shots I can look out for. They have examples of freshwater and ocean water. They capture moments of waves crashing and ocean tides, while they have the calmness of the freshwater. They also have underwater shots on the national geographic site of course, but I did not have access to an underwater camera unfortunately. However, I would not want to photograph in the ocean here, no image would come out because the water isn't clear at all. But at the same time, maybe that would help to get a point across... I liked experimenting with time exposure and photographing water. I went to the beach for the sunrise to see what I could get. I didn't have a tripod at this point, but I tried to balance my camera on rocks and rails. I liked the outcome of shooting the rocks in the ocean with a 3-4 second exposure. The ocean waves move over the rocks creating a ghostly effect. I just think next time I should bring the tripod to make the rocks more crisp and in focus.
I also was passing the waterfall gardens on campus and I took some time exposure shots. It was in the middle of the day so the light was not ideal, but I still think I came up with some good stuff. I like both of the different options when shooting water. First, I shoot on automatic and froze the water as it was falling. I like this effect. Then, I used a 1/5th second exposure, followed by a 1 and 2 second exposure. This obviously blurred the water and showed the motion. I like how both of the shots turned out. I want to continue to explore the use of time photography on water.

No comments:

Post a Comment